Thursday 17 January 2013

Thanks To His Sister

Earlier this week I had fun creating a poster for Quirksome Theatre's upcoming production of Thanks To His Sister by Robin Acland. The shows will be on in Spring and you can read more details, including a plot synopsis, here. I was able to catch their last production - Joe Orton's The Erpingham Camp - which was a fantastically funny dark comedy, so I'm looking forward to seeing this one!

I had the idea for the poster (directly below) before I produced the thumbnail version to be used as a holding image (below, bottom) and wanted to base it around a theme of paper and daffodils because the play's central character, Brian, is a student struggling with his final dissertation on the poet William Wordsworth.

As his deadline nears, he becomes stressed and obsessed and begins experiencing visions of the historical figures who roam the pages of his thesis. I thought I would illustrate this scatterbrained student on the verge of a breakdown by having the paper stacks which adorn his room (or floor-based filing system, with which I personally am sadly more than familiar) morph themselves into daffodils which start to grow and creep up out of his tatty jumper and threaten to take over.

Good plan?
I thought so, then realised I'd never done any origami before and a daffodil is not exactly the easiest thing to start with. So I went straight to trusty old youtube and found a brilliant tutorial. After a couple of attempts and deciding to combine photography and illustration, I think I got away with it!



No comments:

Post a Comment